|Deas Island Regional Park - Delta|
Big views of the Fraser River from the lookout tower
Little do people realize that when they are going through the George Massey
Tunnel on Highway 99 that they are passing under a park...Deas Island
Regional Park. This 71 hectare park offers marshes, sand dunes, and
meadows; views of the river traffic (tankers, fishing boats), picnic facilities,
bar fishing, and walking trails. It is also home to 3 historic buildings:
Burrvilla, a stately house built in 1906; Inverholme, one-room schoolhouse
(1909), and Delta Agricultural Hall (1894). Deas Island is named
after its first settler, John Sullivan Deas, who built a cannery on the
island in 1873.
Details: Located east of the George Massey Tunnel, access is via a causeway off River Road (take the Ladner/Tsawwassen exchange north).
For more information call (604) 432-6350. Website: www.gvrd.bc.ca
Area: Delta (Ladner area)
Back to top of page
copyright (C) Triple F Family Adventures 1998